Wednesday, April 25, 2007

CYMBALTA WITHDRAWAL LOG

Day approx 12 --I'm not sure exactly what day I finally ran out of this horrible medicine but we're going to use 4/13/07 as good approximation. My goal with this blog is to accurately track my symptoms & feelings as I embark on a dangerous and scary journey - COLD TURKEY stoppage of taking CYMBALTA antidepressant medicine.

First a brief history - I started taking CYMBALTA about 2 years ago as I was going through a particularly difficult period in my life. At that time Cymbalta was brand new and I don't believe there was any more documentation or expectations of this drug beyond the current SSRI's on the market. I had tried some other SSRI's, PROZAC, LEXAPRO, WELLBURTRIN without success - could not tolerate the side effects. Anyway, do think the CYMBALTA did help somewhat to stabilize my mood - but please note I tend to have a volatile personality as my natural state of being anyway. I took the medicine for about a year without question then in the second year my samples ran out so made the first attempt to quit as it's very expensive - $100 per month. Then at some point the psychiatrist I was seeing quit the business so I had to search out a new Doctor. I went to see this totally unqualified doctor who charged me $200 for first visit and said nothing!! She did however, give me a new prescription so I was on my way for the next 3 months. So now that prescription has run out and I am a very happy girl so no way am I going to waste my time and money going to another psychiatrist.

So here we are at my blog. I'm doing it this time -want to get off this crap for good and be my own person again.

So what are the symptoms??/
--HEAD BANGERS -- zaps, frizzles -what ever you call them - my head hurts all day lone
--DIARRHEA - self explanatory
--EXHAUSTION - well I can only be up for a few hours before I need a nap (in fact it's time now)

I will post every day I think of it my symptoms, home remedies and any thing else I can think of to share with the community and hopefully start a lobby for some REAL warning labels on these horrible drugs.

Debbie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, this is my third week of tapering and my first day completely off, already feeling like crap. Have been trying to get off anti-depressants for years and am all too familiar withthe withdrawal symptoms. I will pray for you--know you are not alone! There are many of us trying to fight our way out of the hell of anti-depressants. Hope we can continue to talk. I need the support--Kim

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm going through now. I'm even trying to do the responsible thing and ween myself off. Head hurts everyday. Sleep all day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I thought I was going crazy. I was looking for answers everywhere. I am on day 5 of withdrawal. It is horrible!!!! The brain zaps are driving me up a wall. Trying to explain to others what it feels like is impossible. I would never recommend anyone to take this medication. Coming off is hell.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to find your site, Im on day 8 and just left work early b/c I basically can't function. It shouldn't be doing this! I haven't sleep well for days, you know that choppy get up 4 times a night type.
My husband is prety much flippin;, but I just refuse to be a zombie anymore, I don't want to be numb, I want to feel, I want to exist, I do want my emotions back. Grant it, my emotions are what got me here in the first place, but as I've grown older, been on cymbalta now for 5 years, i feel like it's more passion for life, too much is happening in the world today, we all need to be here present conscientious, meanwhile I'm hurting so badly, and am so sad. made a spa appt, then going to by some benedryl and Omega 3.
thanks for taking the time to share your story, it helps so much to know I'm not alone and I am not a freak!
L

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not alone. Getting off Cymbalta is hell. I'm having twitches and fevers and getting sick. I could use support of everyone else going through this.
I am here for you all too!

EMAIL ME
angelic_reason@yahoo.com

Here's to hoping we can get off this damn drug!